IFFP is Hiring: 8th Grade Interfaith Sunday School Assistant Teacher
8th Grade Interfaith Sunday School Assistant Teacher
Part Time, weekends, September – May
- Attend an ONLINE training September 11th.
- Work with an experienced lead teacher (Rob Liebreich).
- Help plan and facilitate a total of 20 classes/events:
- classes on Sunday mornings
- 1 Sunday gathering before class
- 1-2 weekend night potlucks at parents’ houses
- a community service event/s
- 2 field trips
- the Coming of Age Ceremony on May 1st
- Send emails to parents (before or after classes/events).
- Communicate with your teaching team and Director of Religious Education.
- Mentor a teen intern (if you have one).
- Occasionally sub for lead teacher.
- Help students prepare for their Coming of Age Presentations (in class).
- Help occasionally with hybrid students (during class).
- History of participation in progressive (liberal) religious communities
- Great organizational and communication skills
- A good sense of humor and flexibility
- Ability to lead discussions, listen and encourage thought
- Enjoys working with middle schoolers
- An open-minded appreciation of Judaism and Christianity, especially openness to the intersection of them both
- Openness to non-judgmental, non-proselytizing interfaith dialogue
- Broad-minded and tolerant religious beliefs
- Is reliable, mature and stable, able to be a role model
- Can create activities and meetings that provide a balance of these four elements: spiritual and emotional growth, group bonding, community service, fun.
- Prompt communication with parents, students, and supervisor
- Ideally: Able to commit for more than one year. (We try to keep teaching teams with the same cohort through 7th and 8th grades.)
Salary: $1100 (about 40-50 hours). (All the hours are on weekends September to early May.)
- Field Education: This position can be approved for field education.
- Location: meets at Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School’s Lower School in Rockville, MD. at 1901 E. Jefferson Street, Rockville, MD 20852 (map).
- Transportation: No car required. It is walking distance from Twinbrook and White Flint metro stations. And members can pick teachers up at a metro station.
- Start date: Position must be filled by June 1st but starts on September 1st.
For more information about IFFP and the coming of age classes, please visit our website at www.iffp.net/coming-of-age.
To apply: Please indicate your interest here.